Monday, April 19, 2010

Technology

I love what technology can do for me. I watch the Tabernacle Choir every Sunday whenever I want. The broadcast is at 9:30, but I can record it and watch it at will, usually Sunday afternoon. I get to control how loud it is in glorious stereo surround sound. I watch it on my 42-inch Sony HD TV, which I noticed has a lot better color than the projected image I saw at the General Priesthood session. My first reaction was, what's wrong with my TV, and then I realized it was not my TV.

I enjoyed watching General Conference at home, all of the sessions (which is so easy to do if you don't have to dress up and then look for a parking space), sipping my Sprite Zero/Diet Mountain Dew cocktail, munching on salted mixed nuts.

High Definition is amazing. I am transported as I listen to the Tabernacle Choir and view the gorgeous scenic pictures that are often displayed with the sound of the music being sung. However the detail was a little too good when a General Authority started to become emotional with tears and, unfortunately, a runny nose. I remember thinking, "I hope he has a handkerchief. I hope he has a handkerchief," before it reached his upper lip. Thankfully he did and used it just in time. It was diverting, and it kept me alert.

I have always loved TV. I was 8 when we bought our first TV, a Motorola 10-inch "portable." TV was only broadcast two or three hours a day, but just watching a test pattern was fascinating.

It wasn't until we were married that we bought a color TV. Again, a 10-inch portable. There were colors, all right, but not often the colors you saw in real life.

I don't remember the TV that first had stereo sound, mainly because it didn't make much difference. The tiny, tinny speakers only produced recognizable sounds, separated by a distance of about a foot on the front of the appliance.

So I have waited all my life for my 42-inch Sony HD TV with surround sound. And I am satisfied.

Oh, wait. They're making TV's that show 3D! I wonder what they are like.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about 3D, it's just a fad.
    It'll go away again soon and come back sometime around 2060.

    ReplyDelete